Leadership Inspirations Activities
To cross a space as a group touching the ground only four times
Storming, Norming, Performing
Type Of Activity
Use critical thinking and problem solving to work together as a team to get across a distance while only touching the ground 4 times!
- Get a space large enough that the group can move around freely in a 20 foot area without running into obstacles.
- Explain that we will attempt to move our entire group across a fifteen to twenty-foot area, using only four points of contact with the ground (any part of the body that touches the ground counts as one point)
- This means four points for the entire group.
- If more than four points of contact are made with the ground, the group must start over.
- No props may be used.
- Safety: Since they will be balancing on each other, make sure you are prepared to spot if necessary or allow some of the members to do so.
- Increase the distance and provide more points to touch the ground (30 feet with 6 points of contact)
- Decrease the distance and provide less points to touch the ground (12 feet with 3 points of contact)
SAMPLE DEBRIEFING QUESTIONS
- What was the goal of this activity?
- Did your group do well? What could have improved?
- How did your group make decisions? Was it effective or ineffective?
- How did your group manage conflict that arose?
- Are we the only ones that define our purpose? What or who influences our purpose?
- How do we communicate our purpose to new members or people outside of our group?
- Why is it important that we all understand the purpose of our group/activity/etc.?
Inclusion and Involvement
- What does it mean to be inclusive or exclusive?
- What did we do as a group that was inclusive? That was exclusive/not inclusive?
- Why is inclusion and involvement important for our group?
- What does this activity tell you about the strengths of your group? The areas for improvement?
- What’s one commitment each person can make?
- What are three lessons the group has learned that they can continue to work on?
- How can we implement these lessons in our school/organization?
- What can you do differently moving forward?