Leadership Inspirations Activities
Road Map Game
Collaborate to map out the ideal road trip
Type Of Activity
Poster Paper, Markers
Collaborate to map out the ideal road trip and get a better understanding of how groups think, make decisions, and what’s important to them.
- Split the group into smaller teams (4-6 total).
- Give each group some poster paper and colored markers to draw out their roadmap.
- Their task to plan a trip around the continental United States that they will take together.
- It must have 8 stops. They must name the cities, states, and landmarks.
- It must start on one coast and end on the other.
- Identify the vehicle to travel in.
- Name your trip.
- Everyone in the group must agree on all decisions made.
- To add a level of difficulty, provide groups with a budget to spend! Starting with just $1 encourages participants to think creatively about how they will make their trip feasible!
- Change the focus of the activity from a roadmap to another topic. For instance, what would an ideal organization/ business look like if your team was to create and run it? Depict it!
- Online: To lead this activity online it will be best to break your group into breakout rooms if they are available on your platform or separate conference calls. Bring them back to one main session to share.
SAMPLE DEBRIEFING QUESTIONS
- What was the goal of this activity?
- Did your group do well? What could have improved?
- How did your group make decisions? Was it effective or ineffective?
- How did your group manage conflict that arose?
Inclusion and Involvement
- What does it mean to be inclusive or exclusive?
- What did we do as a group that was inclusive? That was exclusive/not inclusive?
- Why is inclusion and involvement important for our group?
- What does this activity tell you about the strengths of your group? The areas for improvement?
- What’s one commitment each person can make?
- What are three lessons the group has learned that they can continue to work on?
- How can we implement these lessons in our school/organization?
- What can you do differently moving forward?