Leadership Inspirations Activities
This or That
Choose between “this” or “that” to get to know your group
Type Of Activity
This activity is a great way for particularly large groups to get to know a little about each other. Participants must make a choice between two options presented to them by the facilitator and show their choice by moving to one side of the room or the other.
- Prepare a variety of statements for participants to choose between “this” and “that”. For example:
- Cats or dogs
- Books or movies
- Sweet or salty
- Sun or snow
- You will need enough space for participants to move around freely.
- Define a middle boundary line in this space.
- The facilitator will read aloud two options.
- The facilitator will also indicate which side of the room is for what option.
- Participants will have to make a choice between the two – do they prefer “this” or “that”?
- Once they have decided, they will move to the appropriate side of the room.
- They should look around at who is standing with them and who is standing on the other side before the facilitator reads the next statement.
- Play continues in this way for as long as you’d like. Try adding in one of the Variations for more involved play.
SAMPLE DEBRIEFING QUESTIONS
- What was the goal of this activity?
- Did your group do well? What could have improved?
- How did your group make decisions? Was it effective or ineffective?
- How did your group manage conflict that arose?
- When has your group worked well together in the past? When have they not worked well together?
- When has (something that happened in the activity) happened in the past with your group?
- What habits or actions make a successful or effective team? What are your group’s opportunities for growth when working together?
- What does this activity tell you about the strengths of your group? The areas for improvement?
- What’s one commitment each person can make?
- What are three lessons the group has learned that they can continue to work on?
- How can we implement these lessons in our school/organization?
- What can you do differently moving forward?