Leadership Inspirations Activities
Find an item for every letter of the alphabet within a small group’s possession
Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing
Type Of Activity
Groups try to find an item for every letter of the alphabet, but they can only use what is in their current possession (examples: G – gum, P – pen, W- watch). The purpose of this activity is to energize a group through creative thinking and teamwork!
- Divide participants into small groups.
- Have each group create a list of things they have in their possession right now for each letter of the alphabet A-Z.
- This can be challenging, groups will have to think outside the box!
- When the groups are finished have them find another group to audit their list.
- See what creative and odd things they come up with!
- Instead of breaking up into smaller groups, complete the activity as a large group. Give them a time limit. This will challenge participants to organize and develop a system that helps them brainstorm and collaborate more efficiently.
SAMPLE DEBRIEFING QUESTIONS
- What was the goal of this activity?
- Did your group do well? What could have improved?
- How did your group make decisions? Was it effective or ineffective?
- How did your group manage conflict that arose?
- Are we the only ones that define our purpose? What or who influences our purpose?
- How do we communicate our purpose to new members or people outside of our group?
- Why is it important that we all understand the purpose of our group/activity/etc.?
- What does this activity tell you about the strengths of your group? The areas for improvement?
- What’s one commitment each person can make?
- What are three lessons the group has learned that they can continue to work on?
- How can we implement these lessons in our school/organization?
- What can you do differently moving forward?