Leadership Inspirations Activities
Knot So Easy
Tie a knot in your team’s rope
Storming, Norming, Performing
Type Of Activity
Five short ropes (6-10 ft long) per small group
In this activity, participants must find a way to tie a knot in the middle of their rope without letting go. This activity is surprisingly tricky and participants must carefully coordinate their efforts to achieve the task.
- Break your group up into smaller groups of six people each.
- Give each small group five of the short ropes.
- Have participants stand in one line with the ropes connecting each of them together. The participants on the end will only be holding one end of the rope.
- Tell them that they now represent one long rope.
- Their objective is to tie a knot in the center of their rope.
- They cannot let go of the rope at any point in time.
- If anyone lets go of the rope, they group must reset in their line and start over.
- Facilitators may also pre-tie a knot in one of the ropes and challenge groups to untie the knot as quickly as possible without letting go of the rope.
- In this variation, participants must untangle a Human Knot.
SAMPLE DEBRIEFING QUESTIONS
- What was the goal of this activity?
- Did your group do well? What could have improved?
- How did your group make decisions? Was it effective or ineffective?
- How did your group manage conflict that arose?
- Why is feedback important? What kind of feedback is important?
- What does constructive/effective feedback look like?
- How did positive/negative/or no feedback affect your success?
- What are the traits that make someone successful on this team? What are the traits that make someone unsuccessful on this team?
- What motivates our group?
- How does our group dynamic affect the way we get work done?
- What does this activity tell you about the strengths of your group? The areas for improvement?
- What’s one commitment each person can make?
- What are three lessons the group has learned that they can continue to work on?
- How can we implement these lessons in our school/organization?
- What can you do differently moving forward?